Upload Files and Convert to Google Sheets
Google Drive can convert many file types into Google Sheets format:
- Microsoft Excel (.xls and .xlsx)
- OpenDocument Spreadsheet (.ods)
- Comma-separated values (.csv)
- Tab-separated values (.tab)
- Text files (.txt) into Google Sheets format
Sign in to your free Google Drive account (http://drive.google.com)
To convert files into Google Sheets format, open the Settings (upper-right gear symbol), and check the box to Convert uploaded files to Google Docs.
- To upload your file, use the New > File Upload menu OR drag-and-drop it into your Google Drive screen.
- When your file is successfully converted, the Google Sheets icon will appear. Recommended: Right-click to rename the file and remove the old extension (.xlsx or .csv or other), since it is no longer in this old format.
- Google Drive files that display different icons have not been converted into Google Sheets format.
Beware: A different way to convert spreadsheets into Google Sheets format is the File > Import menu, but this creates two files in your Google Drive (such as data and data.csv), which is confusing.