Chapter 9 Transform Your Map Data
Interactive web maps are made up of different layers, such as background basemaps, colored or shaded polygons, and/or colored point markers. This chapter describes how to transform your data into layers that you can upload into online map tools and templates. Specifically, you will learn how to:
- Geocode locations into coordinates with US Census or Google
- Pivot address-level point data into polygon data
- Normalize data to create more meaningful polygon maps
- Convert map data with GeoJSON.io or Mapshaper.org
- Join spreadsheets and polygon boundaries with MapShaper.org
Enroll in our free online course TO DO add link, which introduces these topics in the brief video below, and offers more exercises and opportunities to interact with instructors and other learners.